HORIZON BOOKS - ANTIQUE PRINT GALLERY
VIEWS, SCENES, TRAVELS
We have listed a selection of antique prints, mostly over 100 years
old, including lithographs, engraved plates, chromolithographs and hand
colored engravings. They include scenes, views, plates from
important travel books, including searches and expeditions for
discovering the north west passage, exploration of western United
States, views of China, ports and harbours of Great Britain, etc,
in a variety of subjects and formats, suitable for framing or
collecting. All are guaranteed original from the sources as
Prices are in US funds. Shipping costs are $8.00 in total for any
number ordered (order 5 prints & the total shipping cost is still
$8), within North America, slightly higher elsewhere. GST (5%) when sent
to Canadian addresses is extra. Payment is by Visa, MasterCard, US
check on US bank, international money order, Canadian cheque at current
exchange rate. Payment by credit card may be made through our
secure server, by fax or phone.
Further ordering details and the secure server
The antique prints can be viewed in a larger format by clicking on
them. Use your 'Back' button to return to this page. More details
on request. Please email
us if there are any questions or if you need additional
THE SEARCH FOR A NORTH-WEST PASSAGE, Plates
John Ross's Second Voyage in Search of a Northwest Passage, from the
book entitled 'Narrative of a Second Voyage in Search of North-West
Passage, and of a Residence in the Arctic Regions During the Years
1829, 1830, 1831, 1832, 1833', published in London 1835, the first
edition. The engraved plates
are on large sheets (31 by 25 cm) with large margins.
- Transverse sections of Somerset House, image 21 by 13, hand colored
engraved print, US$40
- Ground Plan of Somerset House, image 13 x 21 cm, hand colored,
- Christian's Monument, Hamilton's Bay and Island, fine detailed
engraved plate with the ship's masts showing, image 11 x 16 cm. drawn
by J. Ross, US$30.
- Chart of Elizabeth Harbour, image 13 x 21 cm, US$30
- The Saumarez River, which never freezes in Lat. 70N. Long 92W.,
showing sledding operation, image 14 x 19 cm, drawn by J. Ross,
- Victory, Dismanted in a Gale June 14, 1829, drawn by J. Ross, image
10 x 15 cm, US$35.
- Chart of Victoria Harbour, showing where stores unloaded, depth
readings, image 21 x 13 cm, US$25
- 'Cape Margaret', drawn by J. Ross, engraved by E. Finden, image 10.5
x 16 cm, short tear in margin, US$30
- 'Graham Valley', drawn by J. Ross, engraved by E. Finden, image 10.5
x 16 cm,. US$35.
- 'Lady Melville's Lake and Dundas Mountains', drawn by J. Ross,
engraved by J. C. Armytage, slightly offset in margin, image 10.5 x 16
- 'The Victory, Finally Stopped by the Ice Sept. 30, 1929, drawn by J.
Ross, engraved by J. Cousen, image 10.5 x 16 cm,. US$40 .
- 'Felix Harbour', drawn by J. Ross, engraved by W. Radclyffe,
image 10.5 x 16 cm,. US$35.
- Çopeland Islands and Sheriff's Harbour, drawn by J. Ross, engraved
by J. T. Willmore, short marginal tear, slightly offset in margin,
image 10.5 x 16 cm,. US$35.
PLATES FROM JOHN FRANKLIN'S VOYAGE IN SEARCH OF A
NORTHWEST PASSAGE, from his book,
Narrative of a Journey to the Shores of the Polar Sea in the Years
1819, 20, 21, and 22, published in London by John Murray, 1823,
first edition. All are engraved plates drawn by
Lieut Hood, RN or Lieut Back RN, who were part of the expedition and
dated 1823, in nice clean, original condition. All are on sheets
approximately 27 by 20 cm, image sizes vary but are 20 by 14 cm or
- View from Morgan's Rocks of the Hill in Hill River, Sept. 19, 1819,
drawn by Lieut. Hood R. N, and engraved by Edward Finden, US$25
- The Trout Fall, Sept. 1819, drawn by Lieut. Hood R. N., and engraved
by Edward Finden, US$25
- Canoe Broaching to, in a Gale of Wind at Sunrise, Aug 23, 1821,
drawn by Lieut. Back, R. N., engraved by Edward Finden, original hand
coloring, offsetting from facing text page,
- Expedition Landing in a Storm, Aug. 23, 1821, drawn by Lieut. Back,
R. N., engraved by Edward Finden, US$30
- Winter Travelling on Great Slave Lake, drawn by Lieut. Back, R. N.,
engraved by Edward Finden, US$35.
- Expedition Encamped at Point Turnagain, Aug. 21, 1821, drawn by
Lieut. Back, R. N., engraved by Edward Finden,
- Bloody Fall July 17, 1821, drawn by Lieut. Back, R. N., engraved by
Edward Finden, US$35.
PLATES FROM CAPTAIN G. F. LYON'S ARCTIC JOURNEY OF
1824, from Lyon's book, 'A Brief
Narrative of an Unsuccessful Attempt to Reach Repulse Bay, through
Sir Thomas Rowe's "Welcome" in His Majesty's Ship Griper in the Year
MDCCXXIV', published in London by John Murray, 1825.
The following engraved plates are from drawings by Captain Lyon,
engraved by Edward Finden,, dated 1824 on sheets about 22 by 13.5 cm
(or 8.85 by 5.5 inches), each in nice, clean and original condition.
- A Remarkable Sunset, $20.
WESTERN EXPLORATION -- PRINTS FROM THE US
The following are from the US Pacific Railroad reports, c1850's
('Reports of Exploration and Surveys to Ascertain the Most Practicable
and Economical Route for a Railroad from the Mississippi River to the
Pacific Ocean' published in Washington). These are tinted lithographs,
clean and fine condition, unless otherwise noted. The image is about
9.4" x 7 inches on a sheet about 8.5 x 11.5 inches. Prices are
- 'Ravines in the Bed of the Ancient Lake' (from sketch by Chs.
Keppe), matted and ready to be framed.
- 'Nez Perces' (Stanley del.), matted and ready to be
- 'Bear's Paw' (Stanley del.), matted and ready to be
The following tinted lithographs are also from the survey for the US
Pacific Railroad, in particular from the report by Lieutenant Henry L
Abbot, on the routes in Oregon and California explored by parties under
the command of Lieutenant R. S. Williamson, in 1855 (from the Sacramento
Valley to the Columbia River) - these plates actually look better than
shown due to the poor quality scanner used:
- 'Three Sisters and Canon of McKenzie's Fork of Williamette River
from Camp P.', (small abrasion in lower blank margin),
- "Canon of PSUC-SEE_Que Creeek Near Camp 41A',
- 'Mount Hood from Tsch Prairie'. US$25.
- 'Castle Rock in Canon of Mpto-Ly-As River Near Camp 53A',
- 'Western Slope of Main Ridge of Cascade Mountains from Near Camp M',
light offsetting from a text page visible in sky area of image,
- 'Lassens Butte from Vicinity of Camp 18',
- 'Shasta Butte and Shasta Valley from a Point Near Camp 70A',
- 'Diamond Peak and Ravine of Middle Fork of Williamette River from
Camp 48W', US$25.00
- 'Lassens Butte from Vicinity of Camp 18',
- 'Entrance of Livermore's Pass', California, image size is 16 x 23 cm
or 6 x 9 inches, an uncolored lithograph by Ch. Koppel, printed by T.
Sinclair's Lithographing Philadelphia, with a small (0.5 x 1 cm, or
.25 x .5 inch abrasion) on image as shown, print is matted in 37 x
30.5 or 14.7 x 12 inch matte, and ready to frame, US$20
SCENES FROM OLD CHINA
The following are scenes of China, from Thomas Allom and G. N. Wright's
"China, in a Series of Views Displaying the Scenery, Architecture and
Social Habits of that Ancient Empire", London, 1843. Each is a
hand-colored engraved plate, 7.5" x 6 inches image on a sheet
10.9" x 8.2 inches, or as indicated, clean & fine condition, defects
noted. Price is US$15. each, unless otherwise marked. Click any image to
see a large version and use 'Back' on your browser to return to this
- 'Temple of Buddha, Canton', outer margins chipped not affecting
- 'Alter-piece in the Yum Stzoo-Stzee Temple, Ting-hui',
- 'Feast of Lanterns (4.5 x 3.1 inch image on 8 x 10 inch title page
from Wright's book), $12
- A matted copy of 'Feast of Lanterns (4.5 x 3.1 inch image on larger
sheet) mounted in mat with outside dimensions 9.75 x 7.5 inches, ready
to be framed. It was engraved by R. Smith from a painting owned
by the East India Company. Clean and fine.
- 'The Kin-Shan or Golden Islands on the Yang-tse Kiang River' (7 x 5
inch image on 10 x 7.5 inch sheet title page from the book), lightly
soiled, small chip at margin far from image, $9 .
- A matted copy of 'The Kin-Shan or Golden Islands on the Yang-tse
Kiang River' (7 x 5 inch image on larger sheet) mounted in mat with
outside dimensions 9.75 x 7.5 inches, ready to be framed. Drawn
by T. Allom and engraved by W, Floyd. Lightly foxed.
- 'Dice Players near Amoy' (6 x 5 inch image on 8 x 10 inch title
- 'Chinese Cemetery' (6 x 5 inch image on 8 x 10 inch title
SHIPPING SCENE OFF JAPAN IN THE 1850'S
The following is from Commodore Perry's Expedition to China and Japan,
1856. The image is 9 x 6 inches. Matted and ready to
frame. Price is US$25.00.
- 'Japanese Junk'
PORTS & HARBOURS OF GREAT BRITAIN
The following are from Finden's 'Ports and Harbours of Great Britain
with Views of the Most Remarkable Headlands, Bays & Fishing Stations
on the Coast', published in London in 1836 by Charles Tilt. All
are first editions and in very good or better condition, unless
otherwise stated. These are uncolored steel engravings as issued. Very
attractive and finely done, drawn by G. Balmer and engraved by E.
Finden. The images are approximately 18 by 12 cm [7 x 5 inches] on 27 by
21 cm [10.6 x 8.5 inches] sheets, although the image size varies a
little. Prices as shown.
- Tybnmouth Prior and Light House, the Life Boat, a title page,
- Tynemouth Castle, vessel wrecked on the rocks (stain in blank
- Entrance to Shields Harbour, US$10.00
- Holy Island Castle (stain in corner of blank margin),
- Newcastle-upon Tyne (light stain in corner of blank margin),
- Entrance to the Port of Berwick,
- Dunstanborough Castle, $1200
- Castle of Holy Islan, from the West, 12.00
- Blyth, $14.00
- Berwick, from the Southeast, $12.00
- Sunderland, the lighthouse on the south pier, $12.00
- Hull, $12.00
- Flamborough Head, $14.00
- Harlepool, $11.00
- Burlington Quay, $14.00
CANADIAN 19th CENTURY SCENES
- 'Village of Lorette (near Quebec)', after W. H. Bartlett, hand
colored, image 7 x 5 inches, fine. Price
- View of Niagara Falls, 'The Landing, on the Americax Side (Falls of
Niagara)', drawn by W. H. Bartlett and engraved by J. C. Bntley.
Image is 7 x 4.75 inches on larger sheet, minor foxing, no tears. A
steel-engraved plate, published in London circa 1850-60. Price
- An attractive steel-engraved plate entitled "Quebec", published 1874
in New York (D. Appleton & Co.), drawn by J. D. Woodward and
engraved by R. Hinshelwood. Image is 10 x 5.5 inches on sheet
12.5 x 9.3 inches. Minor foxing in margin but a fine
impression. Price US$20.
- A Coromantyn Free Negro, or Ranger, armed, , engraved plate,
published London, December 21, 1793, by J. Johnson, image is about 18
x 13.5 cm [about 7 x 5.5 inches] on 26 x 20 cm sheet, moderately
foxed. Price is
- An Ashantee Soldier, drawn by I. Dupias and engraved by C. Williams,
engraved aquatint, lightly foxed, image is 22.5 x 17.5 cm [about 9 x 7
inches] with margin, not dated but published in last half of
nineteenth century. Price
- Hottentots, Residing at the Mouth of Orange River, published March
30, 1789, by J. Johnson, London. Image 17 x 22.5 cm [6.5 x 9 inches]
plus margins. Price US$25.00.
- Caffrarian Family Travelling, from Daniel's African Scenery, plate
25, hand colored engraved plate, image 9 x 14 cm [3.5 x 5.5 inches]
plus small margins. Price US$15.
NORTH AMERICAN NATIVE PEOPLES
Engraved plates published by Lippincott, Grambo & Co, Philadelphia,
c.1860, drawn by Capt. S. Eastman, US army and engraved by John C.
- Indians in Council, image15 x 20 cm [6 x 8 inches] on sheet 24 x 32
- Indian Sugar Camp, image14 x 20 cm [5.5 x 8 inches] on sheet 24 x 32
- A Boxing Match at Hapae, one of the Friendly Islands, drawn by
Webber, engraved by A. W. Warren, c.1810, light stain at corner, Price
- Merchant of Java; Malayan & his Wife as habited at Batavia, c.
1750, image16 x 23 cm [6.2 x 9 inches] on 20 x 26 cm sheet, some light
offsetting, mostly marginal, Price US$20.00.
- Mourning Scene in New Zealand, engraved plate, image 9 x 14 cm [3.5
x 5.5 inch] on larger sheet, c.1850
HUMAN RACES OF THE WORLD
The following colored plates were published by Blackie & Son,
London, c.1890. The images are13 x 21 cm [5 x 8 inches], on 25 x
34 cm sheets with nice wide margins, each with a border decoration and
- Caucasian Race: Kurds, Persians.. Price
- Mongol Race: Japanese. Price
- Mongolian Race, A Kalapuya Man, Native of Oregon, 19th century hand
colored engraved plate, image about 6 x 8 cm [2.5 x 3 inches] plus
margins. Price US$20.
- Abyssinian Race, a Native of Abyssinia, 19th century hand colored
engraved plate, engraved by Hinchliff, image about 12 x 9 cm [4.5 x
3.5 inches] plus margins. Price US$12
A Hungarian Prince whose Hair was Four Dutch Ells long and his
Son's near an Ell long; The Knez Paul Petrovitz Gantimur Chief of y
Konni Tunguzians Subject to the Czar, two images on one engraved
plate, total image area is 14 x 23 cm [5.5 x 9 inches] plus
margins. No date or publisher given, c.1780s (?). Price
- Botocudos on a Journey, published London by J. Duncan. Oct.
1824. Engraved image is 7 x 11 cm [2.6 x 4.3 inches] plus
margins Price US$10.
- "Jerusalem, Pulpit on the Platform of the Mosque of Omar", a hand
colored engraved print, image 4 x 5.5 inches on larger sheet, mounted
in a mat, and ready to be framed. Very light foxing, but an
attractive print drawn by S. Prout, from a sketch by T. Catherwood,
and engraved by E. Finden, published London, undate but circa
1860-70. Price US$35.
- The Cotton Plant, color printed c.1860, from The Plant World by
Elizabeth Twining, image 12.5 x 8.5 cm [5 x 3.2 inches] plus
margins. Price US$10.
- Journey with an Arab Caravan, 19th century tinted lithograph, image
8 x 12.5 cm [3 x 5 inch] plus margin, Price US$5.
- Yo and the Komadugu, Sept 17th, 1851, tinted lithograph, image10.5
16.5 cm [4 x 6.5 inches] plus margins, Price US$5.
- Arabs of the Bishareen Desert, engraved plate drawn by Henry Warren,
engraved by F. W. Topham, image15.5 x 22 cm [6 x 9 inches] plus
margins, moderately foxed, Price US$10.
- A Madjar of the Tartars halting for the Night in the Steppe,
published London by T. Cadell & W. Davies, November 1809, drawn by
E. D. Clarke, engraved plate, image 15 x 20.5 cm [6 x 8 inches] plus
margins, slightly foxed. Price US$10
- Inside of a House in Oonalashka, drawn by Webber, c.1850, engraved
plate, image 14 x 19 cm [5.5 x 7.5 inches] plus margins, Price
Prices are in US funds. Shipping costs are $8.00 in total for any
number ordered, within North America, a little higher elsewhere. GST
(5%) when sent to Canadian addresses is extra. Payment is by Visa,
MasterCard, US check on US bank, international money order, Canadian
cheque at current exchange rate. Payment by credit card may be
made through our secure server, by fax or phone.
Further ordering details and the secure server.
Books with fine illustrations, including
books with engravings and lithographs. Or you can view our
complete list of catalogs of books.
Return to Horizon Books' Home Page